Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Interwebz Make Me Happy

I'm going to guess that if you are reading this, you have some free time to kill and are choosing to entertain yourself via the internet. I'm going to go even further out on a limb and deduce that if you are taking time to read something I wrote, you enjoy my sense of humor, at least a little bit.

With all of those rash assumptions behind us, allow me to proceed onward. Today I'm going to share some of my favorite places to waste time on the internet. These are mostly places that I find amusing, but some of them are informative or interesting. These are all places I like to go and kill time when online, and I hope you enjoy them as well.

Toothpaste for Dinner / Natalie Dee / Married to the Sea

source
These three webcomics are created by husband and wife dynamic duo Drew and Natalie. They both have their own, quirky sense of humor that comes out through their individual comics (Drew draws Toothpaste for Dinner and Natalie draws Natalie Dee), and they collaborate on the ever delightful Married to the Sea, where they take old-fashioned line drawings and add captions. The best part is, the site includes an archive of all the comics, so you have enough material to waste a whole day!

source


XKCD

Another webcomic I love is XKCD. This one has more of a geek/nerd angle; the subtitle on the main page says it's "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language." You can't get any better than that, right? Oh, and when reading this one, don't forget to hover over the comic for a hidden message. Sometimes those are even more funny than the comic itself.

The Mary Sue

Speaking of geekiness, I absolutely love The Mary Sue. It's a compendium of geek news and funnies from around the web that bills itself as a guide to girl geek culture. Now, boys, don't be afraid of the feminine slant; I get all the same stories you find on other websites like i09 and Geeks are Sexy. It's just that additional stories that are interesting to women are thrown in sometimes as well. It really makes my day when I hear about some rumor or new piece of geeky news from this site before my boyfriend hears about it from all the sites he checks.

source

T-Rex Trying

This tumblr documents the misadventures of everyone's favorite thunder lizard, T-Rex. Unfortunately, T-Rex can't do most of the things that he tries, due to his tiny little arms. The artist does a great job walking the line between making it funny, and making us actually feel bad for the poor guy. He does get a win once in a while, though.



Ugly Renaissance Babies

While we're on the topic of amusing tumblrs, I can't not mention Ugly Renaissance Babies. This site is the a great mix of truly odd (usually) religious artwork and comments pointing out the strangeness. They don't add captions like a lolcat, instead they let the pictures speak for themselves, and just comment on the truly bizarre. And there is plenty of bizarre to go around, don't worry.

"The Christ Child gazes into your soul... and also somewhere over your shoulder, I guess. I'm not really sure."


The Oatmeal

If you haven't yet discovered the joyful joyousness that is The Oatmeal, go there now. I'll wait..... There, now that you're properly educated, we can both agree that Matthew Inman (the creator of all awesomeness on The Oatmeal) is an interwebz god. The comics on the website range in topic from kitties to grammar to how to punch a dolphin in the face, and somehow he makes them all funny and informative at the same time.

There you go, faithful blog readers. Now you have a useful guide to follow if you ever want to understand my sense of humor. Or, if you choose not fixate at on me for some strange reason, you have a list of funny sites to visit and kill some time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment