Sunday, November 11, 2012

Geeky Movies -OR- An Ode to Marvel Studios

Today I had a conversation with a friend that reminded me just how far I've gone down the path to total geekiness. She and I lived together for years and we have always had very similar tastes in books and movies. Granted, I've always been a little more open to the science fiction/adventure genre than she has, but it was a minor difference. Well, in the years since she got married, and I began to let my geek flag fly, we have apparently diverged in our tastes. Today I spent ten minutes trying to convince her that superhero movies can be enjoyable movies to watch, and aren't just for teenage boys and sad people who live in their mom's basement. Especially good are those produced by Marvel Studios in the last few years. She was not convinced, and very pointedly changed the subject when she got tired of me telling her how wrong she was.

This got me thinking. For a lot of years I turned my nose up at superhero movies as well, thinking that they were kids stuff or just automatically bad. I think that we can lay the blame for this attitude on the Adam West Batman series; I watched the show when I was a kid and automatically assumed that all comic book/superhero stuff was similar to that. Now that I have been properly educated, I know that there are many excellent movies, TV shows, and other media that can all be lumped under the superhero umbrella.

It still makes me sad, though. There are doubtless lots of other people out there with the same attitude as my friend. They have decided somewhere along the way that comic book inspired media is not for them, and now they are missing out on so much great stuff. Especially lately, when so many good movies and other projects are coming thick and fast. I just feel bad for all the people who are missing out on this fun stuff.

Although, now that I think of it, my friend never saw that horrible Green Lantern movie. Maybe she's got the right idea after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment