Saturday, December 1, 2012

Drug Addled Writing

My boyfriend is making me feel like a slacker. Here I am, trying to do a month's worth of blogs, and only getting entries written about half the time, and he's clacking away on his iPad every night night showing me up. While I'm reading before bed, already guilty because I'm consuming the written word rather than producing it, he's sitting next to me making the guilt worse.

He recently discovered that anyone can create a wiki, and he's hard at work creating a community based on the elaborate stories he and his friends have been making up for and about each other for the last 20 or so years. It's pretty interesting stuff. Even though I'm jealous of his productivity I'm having fun reading it all. Because I haven't been thinking about this stuff for years, I like to think I provide a valuable outside viewpoint.

The really irritating thing, though, is that he's doing all of this while he's drugged up. He takes ambien to help him sleep and, as anyone who's taken that drug knows, after a certain point in the evening you can be awake and (apparently) functioning but you won't remember anything about what happened the next day. Every night after he takes his pill, he writes for a while and creates pages on the wiki. And then, every morning he gets to open it up and see what new things he wrote while in the ambien blackout. It's like he has a ghostwriter doing all he work for him.


Although, now that I think of it, having someone else do all the work for me sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Especially since it would be me doing it, so everything would be done the way I like it. I wonder, maybe he'll loan me one of those pills and I can try it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment